On the hill to the north-east of today’s Baška, there is the church of St John the Baptist. It is a Romanesque, monovolume structure with an apse protruding on the east side. The church bell tower, built on the façade, has a bell from 1431 called Starac (The Old Man). This was the first parish church at the time of the Medieval castle Baška, before the settlement moved to the coast. A part off the castle was preserved today near the church. The church is mentioned in the documents as a luxurious structure with seven altars and it functioned as a parish church until 1740. It was abandoned in the 19th century because the population moved from the old village. Still in 1855, after the outbreak of cholera, the church was restored. The city cemetery is located along the church.