The Franciscan monastery in Porat is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene. In the beginning, this was the site of a small chapel with a few monks arriving from Glavotok. However, with the arrival of the Venetians after 1480, a real Franciscan monastery was founded. The church and the monastery have late Gothic and Renaissance stylistic features, with their construction beginning already in the first decades of the 15th century. The ribbed vault of the church sanctuary represents the earliest stage of the construction. The altarpiece from the main altar represents a significant work of art by Girolamo da Santacroce, showing the monastery patron St Mary Magdalene, as well as St John the Baptist, St Gregory the Pope, St Francis of Assisi, St Quirin and the Virgin Mary. In 1557, the church and the altar were dedicated, so it is assumed that the church was completed.
This Third Order monastery, just like the one on Glavotok, is largely responsible for the preservation of the Glagolitic tradition on the island. Old Slavic language and the Glagolitic script were used in the monasteries, both in liturgy and other ceremonial and internal prayers. This is why they were called Glagolitic monks, fraters Illirici. Today in the monastery atrium there is a lapidarium which represents the rich Glagolitic legacy of the island of Krk.