The church of St Lucia is located in Jurandvor, a small village to the north of Baška. The church emerged in the High Middle Ages, during the Romanesque period, as a single-nave structure with a prominent semicircular apse and a bell tower on the façade. The walls around the church are the remains of a Benedictine monastery which contained this sacral structure. Archaeological research established that the monastery and the church emerged on an earlier antique farm building. The finding which made the church of St Lucia widely famous is located within the building.
On the tablet of the altar wall there is the inscription known as the Baška tablet. This stone tablet is one of the oldest monuments of Croatian history. It contains thirteen lines in old Croatian language, mentioning the word “Croatian” and the name of the king Zvonimir. It dates back to 1100. The script, with which it was written, called the Glagolitic script, is completely different from the Latin script. Besides the Latin script, the Glagolitic script was used until the 19th century. The original tablet was moved to Zagreb in 1934 and is located in the hall of the Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts. Today the Glagolitic script has become a trademark of Baška, which is witnessed by large sculptures shaped like Glagolitic letters placed along the road leading to Baška.