On the path leading towards the Vrbnik port (Namori) there is the church of St John the Baptist, the patron saint of Vrbnik. The church was built by the pope Damian, in the 14th century, probably in 1323. Today it does not have its original appearance. According to the Glagolitic script walled into the eastern wall, the church was extended towards the east with the construction of the new apse in 1611. Along the church on the northern side, there was the city cemetery which was in function until 1956, after which it was relocated on its today’s location, outside the city. Vrbnik priests were buried in a special place, in the church loggia on the western side. The famous brotherhood “Kapari” is connected with the church.
Throughout history, many brotherhoods, voluntary associations of lay believers, exclusively adult males closely connected with the then church, were active on the island of Krk, helping with their religious and socially useful work. Vrbnik brotherhood “Kapari” is the only one that remained from that time. They were first mentioned in 1323. The name “Kapari” originates from their hood, so called “kapuča”, at the end of the white tunica with a red cross on the chest.