The cove of St Peter is mentioned already in the old Glagolitic document, a sale contract from 1379, and afterwards in the Glagolitic document by the prince Ivan Frankopan from 1465, in which it was called “the land of St Peter”. It is located at the extremely important site of the Medieval salt works, and at the time, salt was a strategic provision, a symbol of power and a means of payment.
The church of St Peter is preserved in a derelict condition, but still a few stages of construction can be recognized – pre-Romanesque and later Romanesque-Gothic adaptation indicated by the triumphal arch, which is when the church was considerably expanded. Western façade is simple, with a distaff on the roof. The oldest church walls are on its extreme eastern part so it is supposed to be the place of the former small pre-Romanesque church.
The wider area around the cove of St Peter is an archaeological zone where items from prehistorical until early Medieval and Medieval times were found so multi-layered characteristic of the church is not surprising.