The parish church of St Stephen is one of the oldest parish churches, which is witnessed by the Glagolitic charter from 1100, mentioning this church. The church was dedicated by the Krk bishop Dunat a Turre in 1512. It has been preserved until today with a significantly altered appearance; it was expanded in the 16th century, and at the beginning of the 17th century, the old sanctuary was altered in a late Gothic style, which changed its original architectural form considerably.
The church is a longitudinal three-nave building with prominent elevated main nave and a flat back wall of the sanctuary directed towards the east. On the west side, in front of the entrance into the church, there is the entry porch. This was the historical centre of the church life, a sort of a counterpart to Placa as the place of civil life. It is important to mention the reconnaissance function of the area as the church was located on a strategically important site from which the north-eastern and the north-western parts of the island were controlled during the Venetian-Uskok conflict.
The church has a rich sacral collection which includes liturgical items, paintings and statues dating from the 14th until the 19th century, with especially prominent one being the relief altarpiece from the 17th century illustrating the Coronation of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
There is a bell tower rising near the parish church, at the site of the old cemetery, on the plateau in front of the church of the Holy Trinity. It was built by the master Pilepić in the 1720s. The tower, with its Baroque characteristics and prominent bifora windows on the highest floor, was built with the finances by the brotherhood of St Stephen and other brotherhoods. It was considerably damaged in 1944 in the World War II, when it was destroyed to the level of the first floor. The construction of the new tower with the same stylistic characteristics followed soon after that at the site of the old demolished tower.